Thursday, July 19, 2018

Discussion 7: grading policy -- July 19

Your COMMENT is required.  REPLIES are welcome but not required.
 
Do not address me directly: you are talking to your classmates, not me.
 
To All:

I am committed to fairness to all and treating everyone by the same standards.
This is the fundamental reason why I don't make exceptions to the rules I set out.
In the Western culture, in general ,
negotiating with and challenging authority is
considered a valuable skill and a sign of character.

By negotiating I mean requests such as: "Could you please?"

By challenging I mean reactions such as: It's unfair to take away points for this little mistake";
and: "What does that have to do with learning the content?"

There are many students who come from cultures where this is simply unthinkable.
Moreover, because of different social codes, women in particular
are discouraged from advocating for themselves,
even when they have a legitimate case.

As a teacher living in the XXI century in multicultural USA
I am ethically required to be mindful of this WONDERFUL
NEW reality and opportunity to do my part to educate the future
leadership of the country.


Second, and less important but still relevant:
if I were to accept excuses and grant exceptions,
I would never see the end of it. I would spend the rest
of the semester dealing with a shower of messages
with all sorts of requests for delays, make-ups, revisions,
second versions, better versions, correct versions, etc.

The situation is even worse in online courses.

I am not, however, unreasonable or infallible.
If you have a legitimate case that you can document,
just provide proof right from the beginning.
Do not force me to ask you to prove that your grandmother
or cousin really died (surprisingly I never never had one single
grandfather die in decades of teaching.) 
Nobody likes to be put in the position to sound callous
and insultingly uncaring.

12 comments:

  1. I have been guilty of making excuses in the past. However, I would prefer to apologize for my mistakes, accept the penalties and move on. I find that its much easier this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Setting a due date and not accepting any work after it, helps us, students, to learn to be more responsible and acquire the ability to better cope for the future tasks. The class’s policy is more than fair and it is good to know and be on top of the schedule which our professor provides to us at adequate time. I have no complains or concerns about any above points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand how a professor making expectations or extensions can cause everyone to ask for one. I think the polices given to us is fair. We as students should be held responsible for our own actions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine SchindlarJuly 19, 2018 at 4:14 PM

    I understand why directions should be followed and I understand that when given an inch, there are always those who will take advantage. I have seen it firsthand in my Special Education Middle School classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am encouraged to read of the recognition that women in particular have a history of not advocating for themselves, and that we are at a moment of change in that regard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read the information above.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read this post and I agree, that the policies of the course are reasonable. I am very glad to learn, that of there is a valid issue or concern, we can address it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read the information and understand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally understand that students can expect to be treated with high care, however we should also note to ourselves that we are STUDENTS. And that we should take full responsibility of our actions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand and will continue to follow your guidelines and rules.

    ReplyDelete